Welcome / Bienvenidos / Baruch Haba
“I marvel at the resilience of the Jewish people. Their best characteristic is their desire to remember. No other people has such an obsession with memory.” Elie Wiesel
Cuba is a land like no other. Set in Caribbean waters, the atmosphere is unlike any surrounding island. Although sharing a common language, the feel is remarkably different from neighboring Spanish-speaking countries. The warmth of the people, colorful buildings and antiquated cars are some of the characteristics that make Cuba unique.
Do the Cuban people need us? More than ever! After the Revolution the majority of Jews fled Cuba leaving behind those choosing or unable to leave. Following many years of being unable to practice religion, our Jewish brothers and sisters are now reviving what was once a flourishing Jewish community. Presently, approximately1500 Jews remain enjoying religious freedom, sharing B’nai mitzvah, weddings and other celebrations in a traditional way. They are, however, in a revival mode and rely on our missions to fortify their struggle.
CHAI Missions, Inc, is a Southern California based, non-profit 501(c)(3) humanitarian organization with focus on the Jewish community of Cuba. During our one week mission in Cuba, we will have provocative meetings with leaders of the Cuban Jewish community and notable educators in an intimate setting, visit historic sites, museums and art galleries with an exceptional Cuban guide specializing in Jewish history, have the opportunity to hear wonderful Cuban music, and a litany of additional options. Some itineraries may also include interacting with elementary school children and/or high-risk pregnancy clinics. All missions incorporate bringing urgently needed supplies to the community while forging new friendships with our Jewish brothers and sisters.
In addition to spending quality time with the Cuban Jewish community, our itineraries also include spending time with Cubans in challenging situations, learning about local culture including culinary and the arts.
Join a chai mission, building bridges from our homes to theirs as we bring you an eye-opening, exhilarating, emotionally charged week in this very unique land, only a stone’s throw from Miami.
[Download our printable brochure] (pdf)
Why Choose Us
- Hands On Hosts
We will be with you all the way, ensuring your trip is all that you anticipated and more!
- We provide provocative itineraries
Stimulating and enjoyable with optional activities during ‘at leisure’ times
- Boutique Jewish Missions
Private, individualized Jewish Missions available. Contact us for pricing and itinerary options for your group of 8+!
- Our itineraries can become flexible, should the need arise.
For example, if the Cuban ballet has a last minute performance, we will make sure the best seats possible will be available for our group.
- Chai Missions is just that!
Our Jewish missions connect local communities with Jewish communities in need, improving and enriching lives!
- Our tour operators in Cuba are the best in the business!
Not only will we accompany you….but our phenomenal English speaking Cuban guides will take us ‘inside’ Cuba!
- Chai Missions celebrates with you!
Let us know if you’re celebrating a birthday or anniversary on one of our missions—we’ll make it special!
“Chai Missions presents a compelling and amazing insight in to the soul of the Cuban Jewish Community. Founders and hands-on facilitators Randi Simenhoff and Rhonda Slater have translated their passion for this island and its Jewish population in to a well planned and superbly executed array of meaningful experiences and intimate insights. All aspects of the journey are managed with professional quality and creativity - and the tour includes a plethora of unique and memorable sites and experiences. For myself and members of my synagogue's delegation, Chai Missions surpassed all of our expectations.”
Rabbi Mark Hyman
- R&R you are fabulous leaders with great energy and thoughtful directions. ~ Betsy K. New York, NY
- Loved it! We never had a trip like this before and I doubt we’ll ever find another one again. ~ Dolly and Ron D., Heath, TX
- Thanks so much for giving us a wonderful memory. ~ Carolyn and Gary W., New York, NY
- Was a trip of a lifetime…for our kids, for us…eye-opening and inspiring, but certainly not sugar-coated. ~ Joanna L., Brookline, MA
- Trip was extraordinary! …CHAI Missions allowed me to see Cuba through the eyes of a tourist and what a wonderful experience that was! Maria G. (born in Cuba), Culver City, CA
- This trip exceeded all of my expectations…will savor forever. Cuba is a unique and wonderful place and I see why people fall in love with it. Brad G., San Francisco, CA
- The leaders were so thoughtful in recognizing our previous visit to Cuba in 1949 (honeymoon) with a beautiful celebration at … the Hotel Nacional. Myra and Wally S. Woodland Hills, CA
- Really enjoyed the Jewish Community….would definitely give high recommendations of this trip. Heidi R. Boston, MA
- Each day was special and surprising Lori and Ralph M, Tarzana, CA
- …outstanding…window to the Jewish Culture along with the general culture of all people in Cuba…very meaningful for my wife to travel her family roots and… gave us insight into her …family’s history. Randi and Rhonda did a fabulous job of coordination and really helped make the entire group gel incredibly well. ~ Dale S., Tarzana, CA
- Orange County Jewish Life – August 2013…outstanding…window to the Jewish Culture along with the general culture of all people in Cuba…very meaningful for my wife to.
- Patronato Receives CHAI donationNot Forgotten by Randi Simenhoff When we first set foot in Cuba, we felt the very special nature of it..
- JSpace, March 2014, La Puerta de la Sinagoga está Abierto, The Synagogue Door is Open.